Pages

Friday, December 27, 2013

Thoughts on New Year's Resolutions


Throughout most of my life, I had never once made a single New Year's Resolution. To be honest, I never saw the need to make one specifically for the New Year. If I had a goal or habit that I wanted to make, I would always start as soon as possible (or never at all).

This changed when I started attending university, where the second term of each school year just happened to fall in the beginning of the year (in secondary school the first term would drag on until February). Goals that I would usually make for myself at the beginning of each school term just happened to fall around the time that other people would make their New Year's Resolutions.



The thought of having a "fresh start" at the beginning of the year seemed to boost my enthusiasm for setting my goals and habits that I wanted to work towards for the new school term, so I started calling my goals "New Year's Resolutions", like everyone else.

And like everyone else, a lot of the goals and habits that I made for myself ended up like the monthly attendance rate at a gym: strong at first before quickly decaying  into nothing. I thought a lot about why that happened, and why it was so common for most people. I also looked at the goals and habits that I did achieve, and looked for commonalities. A pattern quickly emerged for the goals and habits that I didn't achieve, and the ones that I did.

I learned to take things one step at a time, rather than rush to do every thing all at once.

Have a Happy New Year.

PL

No comments:

Post a Comment